A meditation cushion can come in all kinds of shapes and sizes; half-moons, high, low, made of organic materials, Fairtrade or recycled materials.
Why would You get a Meditation Cushion?
Meditation cushions are there to support your body in any sitting position and they can be an asset in certain asanas as a kind of prop. People that have very flexible and strong bodies might not need the cushion, but for most people it is a nice asset.
If in lotus, half lotus, swastik or diamond pose your knees are higher than your hips or you have some discomfort in your knees or back, a meditation cushion can be of help. You can sit either on the edge of the cushion to prevent sinking into your lower back or as in diamond pose on the full surface. It is up to you.
My very First Meditation Cushion
The one time I went for my very first meditation cushion, I choose my cushion solely based on color. I had no idea what else I had to look for or what is important to know. I was at a store and I sat down on all the cushions available. The shop owner had no idea how to advise me. That was a pity.
I was preparing for my month of Yoga at the Arhanta Yoga Ashram and knew beforehand I would spend most of my days sitting on the floor or on my meditation cushion. I really wanted a good pillow. So at that moment I went for the cushion on which I felt most comfortable. It was a cushion with elephant print from Yogi & Yogini. A very beautiful cushion that stood out from the rest by it’s happy print and vibrant purple color. It fitted nicely with my purple Yogamat.
A Month on my Meditation Cushion
The first week was forgoing. No chairs and I started more and more to feel discomfort. The more I tried to sit still, and the more time I spend on that cushion, the more the aching increased. My knees have only been a slight weak point in my body before, but now it was there with red flags and everything. When I told my teacher she advised me to raise the height of my cushion by putting something on top. My thick blanket for example. Then my hips would be higher and my knees would have less pressure on them. What a relief! If I had known earlier, then I would have bought a higher cushion right away!
My High Meditation Cushion
After the training I went right away for a high meditation cushion. This cushion from Yogi & Yogini is what I bought at the end. I use it during every Yoga class and I have never had any problems with my knees anymore. What an invention! The way I sit on the pillow is not always in the traditional way, I also sit in diamond pose on my knees, with my lower legs resting on the floor. It is very important to keep your hips above your knees. Sitting like that for a long time in a row is not good for your body, posture and will give you other aches in the end.
I don’t want to say that my lower cushion isn’t a good choice, it was just not fit for me to sit on for longer periods of time. In the store it felt very much okay. It is only after longer periods of time you notice what your body needs for support.
My Advice when buying a Meditation Cushion
- Do you have weak knees or you think you might have them? For example when in a pose wherein you have weight on your knee, does this feel sensitive? Or when in Virasana, does this irritate your knees? Then go for a high pillow. Low or half-moon cushions will often not support your knees enough when sitting on them for a longer period of time.
- If you don’t have sensitive knees, you can easily go for a lower pillow. If you are looking for something to keep your lower back up straight, then as well the half-moon cushion is an option.
- Try out the cushions for a longer period of time. So try to sit comfortably on a cushion for at least 30 minutes. By then you’ll notice if your body is able to rest in the pillow or not. The advantage of online stores is that mostly you can return your products without any costs when they don’t appeal to you. To sit half an hour on a pillow in a store is a whole other experience.
- If you can afford it, then buy an organic, recycled or Fairtrade cushion. You’ll support the employees in the country of origin, plus it is mostly better for the environment than the production of a regular cushion. Only downside is that mostly they are only available as a lower cushion. If this is not a problem for you, then go for it.
- Note that the cushions don’t have their definite height when you buy them. In time they’ll sink in a little. You can always buy extra filling for your cushion. Online or at your local Yoga store. In this way you can always revert to your preferred height.
I hope this information can help you to choose a fit meditation cushion for you. If you have more questions or comments, feel free to post them below.
Good luck with finding your life time cushion!
© 2018 Nagabandhu Yoga and Living Practice – All Rights Reserved
No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission